Wednesday 16 November 2011

Robert Kennedy Fiji Market Collection for Tappoos







Fiji Fashion Week last year, flora was the new black on the catwalk at Boron House.
The catwalk was dominated by floral among clothing lines created by designers in the like of Carolyn Ah Koy with her China inspired black floral dress, Ellen Whippy with her "Essence of the fifties collection" and I must say, it was a tropical exotica of colours from all over the world.
And then there was the inspiration from rich overseas architecture, from China and even Morocco. Designer Robert Kennedy Marakech collection was inspired by the country Morocco. Aside from the movie Cassablanca, Morocco is well known for its hotels surrounded by oasis, rugs, art and wild flowers - an apparent Moroccan element depicted by Robert in his designs.
With many promising designers, established and emerging designers entering this year Fiji Fashion Week, the element of surprise is there...It may be black and white, stipes, bright colours or prints, I am eager to see what will be for show this year.
However, Robert has shared an insight of his collection which his clients might just have mixed feeling about.
This year, Robert will be concentrating on only one collection - Fiji Market/Tappoo.
"I am putting all my energy into one collection. On the whole I think Fiji Fashion Week this year will be a different level of sophistication, especially as it will be held at Tappoo city.
"Tappoo have been fantastic benefactors to me and I am thrilled that they are also supporting Fiji Fashion Week with a prime Suva venue," he said.
Aside from his cocktail inspired dresses, Robert is focusing on women of all sizes with elements of his own customised prints on soft coloured materials that are bound to make Pacific women go crazy.
"I travelled to Morocco for the first time and was inspired by the wonderful architecture of the country.
This year's Fiji Market for Tappoo collection is inspired by the famous Blue Lagoon movies that were shot on location in Fiji.
"I have merged Edwardian inspired fashion like lace and fused it with the shells and fish that live in and surround a lagoon.
"My colour palette shifts from the somber tones of early 20th Century Britain to the vivid colours of the tropics.
"These combine to create a collection that can be worn around a pool by day or to a cocktail party at sunset. I feel that the main difference between this year's collection and last years is that I am more focused on my target market of women of all ages and sizes who feel comfortable and confident in themselves.
"I love bold prints that are showed off to best effect in long Mumu Dresses or Kaftans and feel that Fiji women respond very strongly to these things.
Even better for those out there that love Robert's designs, he is not a trend follower, which means, his designs are unique including the designs on them.
"I am interested in clothes that are casually elegant and most definitely suited to the tropics," he said.
"I would say that my prints are the most distinct features of my designs.
"I studied Textile Design at RMIT in Melbourne in the early 90's and majored in Print Making.
"I have always loved beautiful prints and I design all the prints in my collections. I always start my collections with the prints first and then the garment designs second.
His Fiji Market/Tappoo collection will be divided into the Kaftan collection and Pacific dresses.
"The Kaftan collection is is by far my most popular line, particularly because of the beautiful cotton Voile that I use.
"I will be keeping this base cloth and introducing some small variations on the cuts as well as some new colours and prints.
"The second part of the collection, consisting of Mumu's, Dress's and Skirts will be a Cotton/Rayon which has a silkier, more luxurious feel that translates well into evening wear as well as day wear.
"I initially designed my collections to cater towards the tourist market in Fiji but this has been completely superseded by Fiji's local market.
"Nothing has made me happier than seeing my designs worn on women of all walks of life.
"I have seen my designs on Fijian women going to Church in Sigatoka or patriotically to support the Fiji Team in Hong Kong at the Hong Kong 7's or even recently on 'old girls' at the Saint Josephs School Reunion Ball," Robert said.
Since the early 90's, Robert has been a trend setter in the Fiji fashion market.
And he believes that anyone can achieve the level of success a local designer as him as done in the years.
"For anyone wanting to be a designer I would recommend that you stand by your convictions.
"When you are creative you are exposing yourself and sometimes the criticism can be unbearable.
"All designers face criticism and the successful ones are the ones who pick themselves up again and carry on.
"Also, I would recommend getting yourself educated if you can. If you can't do so on a formal level then go to a library or on online and read all you can about what interests you.
"The internet is the most wonderful tool to use, anything you could possibly want to know is out there for you to find," the designer said.
With a little insight to Robert's collection we can make the assumption that inspirations for this year's Fiji Fashion Week does not have to stop at places or county's one visit, it can also be movies, shot right here at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment